Monday, April 11, 2011

Raising kids to have positive self-esteem

I have often wondered if my kids will be made fun of because their mom is in a wheelchair.  So far, this doesn't seem to be an issue, but my oldest is only seven.

I believe that raising kids, disabled or not, with a high level of self esteem is critical.  My parents always told me that I could do anything that I wanted, if I put my mind to it.  They never treated me with "kid gloves" or discouraged me from trying anything simply because I had a disability.  I was in Girl Scouts, school plays, piano lessons, played the clarinet in the high school band, etc, etc, etc.

I think that raising all children should be this way.  If your child wants to participate in soccer, but is incessantly clumsy, let him play anyway!  Encourage them to have fun and enjoy the time outside.  He may just surprise you and grow to be an excellent player.  However, if he doesn't, it's most important that he made friends and had fun doing it.  Most coaches and teacher will encourage the same.  Along the same lines, if my daughter (5 years old) decides to do her own hair, I often will let her leave it in just the way it is.  I tell her how good of a job she did and let her go to school.  It may not be nice and high or pulled perfectly tight, as I would do, but she is proud of the work she did.

I guess the point of my story, is encourage your kids - don't DIScourage them.  They are stronger than you think!  As long as you help them to maintain a high sense of self esteem, they will pull through all of those awkward stages in life.

As a parent (disabled or not), you need to follow the same advice.  When you see something that your kids are doing that makes you proud - remember that they are a product of your great upbringing!  If you continue to be upbeat and hold your head high, so will your kids.

Your children will adapt to your disablities - no matter what they are.  If you are the parent of a disabled child, do not cater - instead push them to be all that they can be!  Sure, you can make adaptations, but make them so that the kids can do things on their own.

For more interesting reading, check out this great blog article from a fellow blogger.