Sunday, September 1, 2013

Cell Phones for the Kids - an Easy and Inexpensive Aid

One thing I miss about living in California is that no one there had basements.  Now, I actually love having a basement where I can send my kids downstairs to play with their friends while it remains quiet in the main part of the house.  I also love that because all of their toys are downstairs, they aren't strewn all over the house - so it's easier to keep the house generally clean.  The problem that I have with basements is the entry way steps that come with every house!

What this means is that I am unable to access my neighbors front doors.  Why might this be a problem on most days?  Well, my kids love to play with their friends.  What to do when it's time for them to come home for dinner?  I can't just knock on the neighbor's door and get my kids.  So, our solution has been to get the kids a cell phone.  This seems to be quite effective.  At least one child always has the cell phone so that even if they aren't together, they can fetch each other.  They are really good about keeping their phone charged and on so that I can contact them whenever needed.  So, while they may seem too young to have their own cell phone, it works for our family.  It also serves as a great communication tool when they can just text or call me if they need anything when we aren't together, and it gives me peace of mind when they are riding their bikes or walking to and from school.

My kids have a basic cell phone (the least expensive I could get at the time) with a slide out keyboard.  They have NO data access, but unlimited texting.  I cannot imagine giving my kids unlimited internet access on their phones, nor the ability to send pictures to anyone besides myself.  Eliminating data has allowed me to restrict both of those options without having to pay for any kind of parental control plan.  They also have a warranty plan for any accidents that may arise, but after just over one year - the phone is holding up well!  This is the phone they have:

Do your kids have a phone?  What do you allow them to use it for/have access to?